Friday, May 11, 2012

Appliquéd Heart Quilt


Just a little memory out of the past. I created this hand appliquéd quilt and it was published in the Winter 1991 issue of Quilt Magazine. Although I have made hundreds of quilts, of which most of them I gave away this is one of those that I was always found of.



As I was submitting this to a magazine for publication, I had to take the quilt to a professional photographer. This was something totally new to me. I chose Roger and Becky Ottman, a couple that I would come to just love over the years. Learning how to stage props when photographing an item was a learning process that started with this quilt. When Roger said we should go outside and hang the quilt across the branch of the tree, I thought he was crazy. The photos came out just beautiful with the different backgrounds we used and the additional props we incorporated into the photos.   
 


This is a full size bed quilt.  When I made this quilt I was a stay at home mother of six very active small children, it was a miracle that I was even able to finish this project. The hearts were hand appliquéd on a cream colored block and then I alternated them with pieced blocks of the Ohio Star pattern. To make the quilt more feminine I added a generous double fold ruffle around the edge.  After I finished the quilt, I decided to submit some photos to Quilt Magazine. I did not know they were going to use it until one day I was in my favorite fabric store add I glanced at the magazines, and there it was on the cover. Wow, what a thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment