Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Some Fun Time, Art work, mixed media



I have been thinking of making another paper quilt. I finished one this past year, and sent it to Stampington and Company for a magazine submission.  They had a project that called for making a piece of art using the color “aqua” and I made a paper quilt very similar to this one. I designed my little crazy quilt blocks using Acrylic paper by Strathmore. I just love this paper. It is very thick and stands up to all the coloring and inking that I do. I used gel pens to create all the embroidery stitches on the blocks. The quilt was designed on mat board. I added a feathered border and quilting lines in the background. I did a lot of inking with brown ink to the quilting lines before I added the blocks. I coated it with Mod Podge and will be adding rhinestones to make it sparkle.



 
 
So many things to do… I thought I would take a break, and have a little fun drawing and coloring again. I recently put my 2013 Snowman Calendar on my Etsy shop, and just looking at those drawings of silly snowpeople made me want to draw a snowman. I was reading quotes online one day, and came across a saying by Dr. Seuss. It goes like this: “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” I decided to draw a snowman as he changes shape in the month of April. The spring rains have started and our snowman is melting. His buttons are falling off, along with his carrot nose. Poor guy! His glasses fell to the ground when he lost his nose. I gave him an umbrella to shelter himself from the melting rain.  Even the green grass is starting to show through the snow. His time is almost over, but I know come next winter he will be back! I started with a piece of matt board 8 ½ x 19 ½. I drew my snowman image, and added a one inch grid to the background on the diagonal. When the coloring was done, I inked the background to tone it down a bit. Then I added the quote using some chipboard letters that I inked, and my own lettering and torn papers. I found some epoxy raindrops in a sticker pack, and they seemed very appropriate for this project. It was coated in Mod Podge and sprayed with an acrylic mat spray.
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment