Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Victorian Crazy Quilt – Lattice Work – Block 14

Lattice Work
When I first started this quilt I didn’t have any idea how to make a crazy quilt. I had a lot of leftover fabrics from previous projects and even a few bridesmaid dresses that I knew I could incorporate into this quilt. I cut the dresses apart and added them into the blocks. I started with a square of muslin and a center piece of fabric that I cut at an odd shape, usually with 5 sides. This gave me a lot of angles to start adding various fabric shapes to. And from there the block just grew. I continued to add odd shaped pieces until I had the muslin base fabric covered. Then the block was trimmed to size.
Most people don’t regard black as a beautiful color, but when combined with other colors it becomes so appealing.
Here you can see where I took 3 totally different beads and put them together after I added a row of feather stitches.
Here I laid down 2 rows of the herringbone stitch to look like a lattice fence. Then I added stems, leaves and flowers.
One of the tricks in keeping each block different and interesting is the use of a multitude of colored threads. In this photo you can really see this technique being applied.
In just this one row I used 5 different colored threads to cover just this one seam alone. As I look at just this one tiny area of this block I think of the time spent in creating it. Then take that by 56 totally different blocks in the entire quilt, and it just boggles the mind.
 


5 comments:

  1. Wow!! Your embroidery is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is so lovely. I know this post is very old but I've just become interested in crazy quilting and came across your blog. Thanks so much for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete