Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Crazy For Victorian

 
I call this block "Crazy For Victorian". I think those that find a love for Victorian Quilts have a very great appreciation for that time of history as well, “The Victorian Era”. It was a time when a woman might have reached her epitome in feminism.
 
 
When crazy quilting began, it was the wealthy women who had time on their hands, and money for expensive fabrics that really got involved in this fad.  As it became more popular, fabric mills began to offer mail order packets of fabric scraps making it affordable for any woman to make these quilts. I made my quilt, using a lot of bridal fabrics and pretty satins, but I also used cotton fabrics as well.
 
 
When I first began to embellish my blocks I just started simple with rows of stitches and beading. Then I was comfortable adding flowers that seemed to float within the blocks.
 
 
Sometimes the flowers really looked like flowers…
 
 
Sometimes they looked like stars.
 
 
As I continue to post all of the blocks in my quilt you will see that my embroidery skills were getting better and I was getting more creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment