Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Victorian Crazy Quilt – Springtime Garden

 
Looking at this quilt I was reminded of a garden where you would find butterflies fluttering between all the flowers on a warm spring day.
 
 
It started with a small cluster of beads including a frosted glass heart in the center of the block.
 
 
I wanted lots of flowers, so I embroidered flowers with a straight stitch and petal stitch, and accented them with metallic bugle beads.
 
I tried these little trees in this little corner shape cut from a dusty rose cotton fabric. I used pastel threads and tiny glass beads on the tips of the branches.
 
I had a very large area of lavender satin to fill, so I just did a straight stitch in clusters of four. I reminds me of bird tracks.
 
The concept of crazy quilting is all about filling in areas with stitch and beads. These flowers were a nice addition.
 
I love the way the green bugle beads show up on the purple fabric. The nice part of a project like this is that you get to play with all sorts of color combinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment