Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Victorian Crazy Quilt – The Earring Block


It was always a constant challenge to come up with something new and different for each block. In this one I started to put an assortment of beads onto one strand. As I was embellishing this block, one of my daughters commented on the center of the block and said that it looked like an exotic earring. So that is how we referred to it in the future, “the earring block”.


This is a close up of the earring that the kids liked so much.


I was able to make use of the shorter bugle beads in this block, by combining three beads and an elongated stitch.


This is another good example of the never ending search for different beads for this project. I came across these clear beads. They were flat with a hole in the center. I had to thread a green bead to the top of each clear bead to keep it in place. Check out the jet black bugle beads mixed in with the red stitching.


This was my first attempt using the wagon wheel stitch. On the flowers across from them you can see the application of using several beads on one strand.


It was so much fun to use so many different colors of embroidery threads in a project like this. You really get a feel of that in this picture. When I went to the store I just went wild selecting all these beautiful threads.


This photo shows just how intense a very small area of one block could become.

No comments:

Post a Comment