Monday, August 20, 2012

Victorian Crazy Quilt – Summers, Flower Patch


I think the main reason Victorian crazy quilts are so interesting to me is that each block is totally different. The incredible variety of fabrics that would normally not be used in a traditional pieced quilt, and random sewing of these fabrics, makes a crazy quilt a marvel to look at.


n this photo you can see that the tiny flowers and leaves that I clustered together.  


I love the herringbone stitch, and here it is shown overlapping two rows using two colors of pearl cotton.


When I assembled the quilt blocks I used unbleached muslin as a base, and then used the sew and flip method to construct the squares.


In the lower left hand part of this photo I added beads that were clear, but had a yellow center. I was always on the lookout for something different to add.


Although a person could make a Crazy Quilt with a color theme (and I have done that in the past) on this project I used very brilliant colors and fabrics. I added a bit of black here and there for contrast.


When I was photographing my blocks I had a real hard time with the reds and pink fabrics. They wanted to appear too saturated in the pictures.

1 comment: