Monday, September 10, 2012

Victorian Crazy Quilt – The Candy Store - block 8

 
When I originally made this quilt my six children were very small, and were always making comments about what I was doing. Sometimes they even said nice things. This block was referred to as the “Candy Store” block, because they thought some of the beads looked like small pieces of Christmas candy they would see in the stores at the time.
 
 
You can see in this block that, although I would use bugle beads as leaves in one block, in another I would just stitch them in as I did here.
 
 
This is a good photo of the beads that looked so much like the candy pieces.
 
 
One of my favorite stitches was the herringbone stitch. I liked the way I could use the seam line as a guide and everything stayed evenly spaced.
 
 
Of course, my daughter Ruth had a fondness for the cinnamon red hearts and she claimed these were just hers. And they would then have a verbal fight over this, as she could not have them all to herself. The fond memories of a little simpler time.
 
 
In this area I tried to add a variety of beaded stars, you can see six of them in this photo.
 
 
On the green fabric here you can see the incorporation of a yellow stone. In the right place even these add a new dimension to a block.  


No comments:

Post a Comment