Sunday, September 23, 2012

Victorian Crazy Quilt – The Quilters Heart- Block 9

 
Wow, we are on block number nine! I really like this one. I embroidered a Valentine heart complete with an arrow right through it.
 
 
All the little scallops around the outside of the heart are filled in with blue seed beads.
 
 
I tried a new stitch called the loop stitch. I used a rayon thread that came in variegated pastel colors. It is very shiny and slippery. If you use a thread similar to this you might want to add a couple stitches at the start and finish, so it doesn’t come undone.
 
 
Here I began with the cretan stitch in black, and then added green lazy daisy stitches to appear as leaves that lead up to red flowers. It was fun to use so many colors in just one row of stitches. And of course, the tiny seed beads add so much sparkle.
 
 
I really like when a single row gets wider and wider the more I add on. I started with the herringbone stitch in gold pearl cotton, and then added some straight stitches in red over the gold. Then I added sets of four straight stitches grouped together and a combination of red and green metallic bugle beads.
 
 
The blue frosted beads I used here were kind of unusual since they were not totally round. They have a soft appearance with the pastel threads.
 
 
With the start of each new block it was a challenge to come up with new stitches. I had to leave some of the areas simple, so here I just added a row of buttonhole stitches. This stitch is made by looping the thread under the needle.
 
 
Tiny little stars were stitched in the center of the block as a way to fill this space. I then added beads to the outer edges of each star.

No comments:

Post a Comment