Sunday, July 15, 2012

Victorian Crazy Quilt - The Flower Patch – Block 1



With the encouragement of my husband, Joe, I decided it was time to take my Victorian quilt out of storage and share it with all of you. I made this quilt back in 1996. It is created from my own imagination. There are 56 blocks in the total assembly of this masterpiece. It is one of my finest quilts that I have ever created. I enjoyed each and every minute I spent making this quilt. I will be sharing each block with you. I hope you don’t get bored.




The name for this block came to me as I was looking at this particular photo. The row of tiny flowers I embroidered using the lazy daisy stitch reminds me of a flower patch.  


The patience for such a project is something that can be good therapy, as well. Just one section of stitching has forty tiny glass pink seed beads added to the tops of each stitch. I wonder how many beads there are in this one block alone………..



You will see a combination of different stitches and threads used throughout this quilt. In many cases one stitch pattern is overlapping the other, giving it a layered look and adding more interest to the block.


When photographing the quilt I had run into a problem with the color fuchsia, just not coming out right. From the start to finish of the photography session of my quilt, this was the one color that gave me problems.


With this photo you can see where I used bugle beads in place of stitches.



It was fun to create my own little flowers and mix up the use of different colored threads at the same time. And of course the beads add so much to each little section of the block.





4 comments:

  1. GOOD NIGHT!!! THIS has got to be THE most GORGEOUS crazy quilts I've EVER seen!!!! Using solid fabrics really makes the colorful stitching POP!!! A++++ in MY opinion!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your block is quite beautiful, and I too liked the fact that you used solid color fabrics.
    Question. Looking at the closeups, I noticed odd single stitches here and there, and wondered what they were for. Perhaps, keeping the fabric from shifting?
    Warm regards,
    Sondra
    http://pinterest.com/traderslostart/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11713921@N04/sets/

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY COW! This is awe-inspiring. I have always wanted to make a crazy quilt, but I can't figure out how to start. This is wonderful, not only is it a crazy quilt, but then it is embroidered too. WHO DOES THAT?!?!?!? I LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete